Monday, March 14, 2011

What did I do creatively yesterday? I went on an Audio Visual course with the Tauranga Photographic Society

I went  to a workshop run by Trish and Alistair McAuslan from the Tauranga Photographic Society on creating Audio Visuals.

                                                          It was a fantastic workshop.
                                                         
                                   Well paced and easy to understand.                                     


I learned a lot of valuable information that is really going to help me make a better five minute Audio Visual clip. 
The quality of the presentation, examples of AV's and notes were excellent



The Tauranga members were very friendy, helpful and free with information.
I was  grateful to the organisers in Tauranga  for opening this opportunity up to members of other clubs. Hopefully I will meet up with more of them in the future.
                                                                               

                                                                                    

Every member bought along their own laptops, it was great being in a room full of people with so much technology.

I was so inspired that when I arrived home I started working on my AV about a group of  children's weekend photographic adventures.

When I have it ready ( after many weeks of tweaking) I will try to put it on this blog, which will probably be another learning curve.

Twelve  top things I learned about making a good AV.

1. ProShow Gold is the preferred software for your  PC; you can download a  free trial; it's really easy to use if you follow the wizard instructions.
2. As a beginner it is tempting to smother your AV with every transition and effect available but don't do this as it's very distracting to the viewer and judges, especially if you are entering competitions.
4. Landscape format works best for most shots.
5. When you are thinking of making an AV to enter into competitions  develop a story,sketch outr a rough storyboard and go out with the express purpose of taking a number of shots especially for it. Don't just couch together a set of snaps from your archives and hope that it will hold together.
6. Take the best photos you can and take lots of them.
7. Make sure the music is relevant and adds to the story and  isn't too loud or clashing.
8. If there are a lot of landscapes one after another in your AV of the same location avoid  bouncing horizons
9. Once you have made your AV view it every morning for a couple of weeks to a month and tweak it.
10. Seek out the advice of a few trusted and experienced  people  (a PSNZ member who has entered AV competitions before, would be ideal), who will give you honest feedback about where it is becoming boring or disjointed. It's very hard to be objective about your own work.
 11. View other examples of good or award winning AV's online here is an excellent link                                http://duckrabbit.info/
11.Most importantly have fun and enjoy the process.
                                  



Great examples of award winning AV's and AV's that had deliberate faults in them courtesy of Alistair.
                                                  
 John and Janice Phillipson gave a very informative and easy to understand demonstration of how to use Proshow Gold




Creative Quotes of the Day 
I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important. Jacques-Henri Lartigue 


To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them. Elliott Erwitt

1 comment:

Shena Meadowcroft said...

Interesting info Janet - I've just signed up for an Intro to Podcasting in a couple of weeks - which I know nothing about and will let you know what I learn. LOVED the photo of the two elderly ladies with their laptops - now THAT inspired me!