Sunday, November 18, 2012

Creatively using books in a lecture or a public speaking engagement

If a speaker brings along a sample of books to illustrate a powerful message during their talk I think this is an effective and creative device.
Analagy is clever. Connecting two separate things forms a visual metaphors.

It is a way of showing not telling. 
The most powerful one for me lately has been the iPad and the mini iPad and a simple childhood piano duet being played on it.
What is the message? For me it is that the iPad is Creative and fun.
Another one for me was the gorilla playing the drums during a Cadbury chocolate advertisement,
  Same message, eating chocolate is creative and fun.

A picture tells a thousand  words.


You can tell a lot about a person's personality by the number of bookcases and types of books that are contained within them.
In my house there are seven book cases.
Graham my husband is a book collector and so am I.
Him and I had the same copy of a John Fowles book The Magus when I moved in with him.
 I thought this was a good omen.

He has read every single one of his books in his bookcases and so have I. 
When we go on holiday we often go into bookshops and he invariably buys books of short stories which I read after he has finished. 
If we go out of the country he often buys books from authors of that country. 
 
His choices are always deep and thoughtful and in this way I am exposed to books that I normally wouldn't read.

I don't read a lot of fiction, principally because I can hardly ever find any that engage me.
Fiction I find can be so full of padding.
  I don't like romances, chick lit or block buster best sellers.
 When I read I like to be informed and it's often about things that really interest me.
I like reading poetry because I love well written word pictures.
 I love reading books about art techniques that artists have written. I have an amazing collection of them

I like reading young adult fiction as well, authors often cut to the chase in them because they know their readers have short attention spans.

It occurs to me that I should probably be reading books about traveling in Italy right now since I'm dreaming of visiting the mosaics in the Vatican in 2013.
Maybe if I do this it will bring me one step closer.

I thought that I may set up a blog and take on a pretend personna and  write about my italian travels. 
This way would be living it and my brain would believe it and all sorts of positive things would fly towards me to make it happen. 
In particular large amounts of money. 

Creative quote of the day 
 “Italian cities have long been held up as ideals, not least by New Yorkers and Londoners enthralled by the ways their architecture gives beauty and meaning to everyday acts.”
Rebecca Solnit, Wanderlust: A History of Walking


No comments: