Monday, October 28, 2013

Miranda Shorebird Weekend Workshop Shots

 Pied Stilts at dawn in Miranda

 Closer up of Pied Stilts Miranda
 Silhouette early morning
 In come the Royal Spoonbills heading to roost in a Macrocapa
 The light grows lighter
 Pied stilt with Bob's special lens
 And again


 This was as large as I could manage. The light was back lit so no catch light in the eye.
 Swans fly in
Dawn with the spoonbills arriving

Whispering grass



God's light
Artist, author and Miranda Shorebird Centre Manager Keith Woodley with a bird watcher client

 
 Our team and captain tutor  Bruce Shanks with his camo's on in the bird hide


Other class participants

Erecting the bird hide that looked a bit like a portaloo

 


Apparently it was really hot inside it. 
 

 Andrew from Wingspan watching
Close up of denin jeans
Masterful directions from Bruce

All the guys got right into it. 
Bit like camping , made me want to go camping again
 
Erecting the bird hide




 Andrew Bob and tutor Bruce


I had a great workshop viewing lots of bird photography and seeing many birds that were out of reach for my lens to be of any real award winning merit. 
Photography is all about the light being right and being close enough to the birds. 
Luckily my photographic friend Reg from camera club had been on the course the year before and had warned me that I most likely would not get any spectacular close up shot of birds. 
It was a course more to equip you with the knowledge on how to theoretically get great bird shots.

So my hunt is still on. 
I do know what I'm looking for, it's a matter of perseverance and patience. 

I really liked the other class members, mostly men and total bird devotees, the food and the whole weekend really was a fantastic introduction to a place that I had not been before. 


The  Miranda Shorebird Centre is a great place for bird lovers. 
Go visit Keith and stay there a while he will make you feel very welcome and take a look at his detailed  bird paintings.  
Also his shop has the best range of bird books I have seen.

Creative Quote of the week
A flock of geese leave their lake and take wing, turning to poems in the sky.  ~Dr. SunWolf, professorsunwolf.com


At the moment I am researching on how to make bird sculptures for the bottom garden without resortng to welding because I haven't got a welder. So watch this space as I embark on the bird sculpture making journey



Mosaic bird making workshops Monday to Wednesday mornings and afternoons. 
Email jkeen@clear.net.nz to book your space. 
374 Clayton Road, Rotorua, Phone 07 3463435



No comments: