Saturday, April 2, 2011

Photography Exhibition Adventure...setting up a beginners Photography display for relatively new members of the Rotorua Camera Club..


Concept
We wanted to give a small group of people who attend "Wielands Sunday Photography  for Beginners" meetings  a chance to exhibit their favourite photo's.

It could be on any subject; we wanted diversity without the pressure of being judged and ranked in a competition.

I always think there is a place for everyone in photography, it's also about contribution and having a go and getting out of your comfort zone.

 Anyone can organise an exhibition in the library, it's a matter of contacting Sue Heke and booking your space.

I'm having a solo exhibition of Photographs and Haiku in June/July to celebrate National Poetry day.
This exhibition was a good chance for me to see how many photographs the space could accommodate without looking squashed.

Wieland  three weeks ago sorting out how many photographs he had  received  for the exhibition.

Process
I have contributed to and organised  well over 30 group and solo (painting and mosaic) exhibitions in my long career of being a visual  artist and I must say Wieland is one of the easiest and most relaxed people to work with that I have ever encountered.
It was not the least bit stressful for me; in fact it was fun, I wanted it to go on and on...
This is the first time Wieland has organised a Photography Exhibition, so he did really well; he acted like he'd done it a million times before.
Wieland in front of the display of  28 photographs  from Rotorua Camera Club members Lisa Ainslay, Carolyn Anderson, Rooney Bunink, Julie Hill, Chris Mills, Colleen Rawlings, Carol Smyth and Cathy Ward.
 
Maybe this is because he did most of the work and I spent a lot of time chatting to passersby, convincing them to cast a vote for their favourite photo and raving on about how my photographs  had multipled and  improved since I'd joined the Rotorua Camera Club.

Marketing
I had already done the marketing in the days preceding which included designing and printing a poster to show in various businesses including Sheila Turners, Central Pharmacy, Radio Network, Radioworks, the hospital staff notice board, the District Council staff notice board, The  Rotorua Daily Post and The Library, plus the cafe next to the Library and  the Rotorua Arts Village.
Thank you to these sponsors for your support.

I've also put it on various sites on the net, including Facebook and of course this blog plus the council's eventfinder site.
I''ll keep plugging at it during the week.


Vote, vote, vote
We  would love it if  visitors to the library could vote for their favourite image
It's a way of inviting people to spend more time studying the photo's,  a bit like reality TV, too bad photo's can't talk.

Encounters in the Library
While we we were putting them up;  library visitors were genuinely interested in having a look and talking to us about the variety of different shots.



                                
Books
We have selected a lovely range of Library  photography books which will sit beside the exhibit to encourage visitors to  read andfind out a bit more about the power and potential of digital photography..


New Look Website
We are  also encouraging people to view the Rotorua Camera Clubs "new look" website at
http://rotoruacamera.co.nz/

 New Visual diary shots to come, so watch this space
 I wanted to stay in the library all day and talk to people about the photos, but I had to get home to have a lie on the couch because I felt tired from staying up blogging, manipulating shots  and creating new visual diary pages till the small hours of the morning.
I also think I have a small cold coming on.

Hamilton Balloon Festival
So I didn't go to the balloon Festival  after all in Hamilton with the weekend photography group.
I'm going next year and it's my aim to get a ride in one so I can take some aerial shots.

Philosophy
The more you know about Photography, the more you want to know and the more you realise that there's so much to learn if you want to win awards like a lot of the experienced Rotorua Camera Club and PSNZ members.


Addiction
I think I'm addicted to blogging and reading others art and photography blogs; especially if they are from overseas.
It's one way of me travelling to different lands.

Other Photography Exhibitions in Rotorua

There is  also an exhibition of photographic images in the Rotorua Museum Cafe by Rotorua Camera Club members until May.
Plus a small photographic exhibition at the Rotorua Arts Village of Children's work done in a workshop by Calico Jo. .
 Sheila Turner is also displaying more photographs in her gallery.

I hope this blog encourages people to view them all.
Creative Quote of the Day

“All photographs are there to remind us of what we forget. In this -- as in other ways -- they are the opposite of paintings. Paintings record what the painter remembers. Because each one of us forgets different things, a photo more than a painting may change its meaning according to who is looking at it.”
John Berger

1 comment:

RooneyB said...

Looks awesome Wieland and Janet. Great job. I look forward to seeing the photos at the Library.
Cheers Rooney