Monday, June 23, 2014

Writing engaging blog posts that encourage your readers to talk to you, advice by Michael Hyatt.


I've stolen this content from an online blogger, called Michael Hyatt. 
 I think it's clever and I'm going to try it. 

 Question: Why don't you join me or make a comment so that I can see you are reading this?
Send me a  comment about my blog, saying what you like about it;  I will send you a hand made water colour card with a special happiness message just for you. 
This offer is open to the first five people to comment.
Just send me your postal address on my email at jkeen@clear.net.nz
Feel free to comment on the posting place below.
I love receiving comments.

How to write engaging copy on your blog
  1. Commit to a specific number of posts per week. 
  2.  Frequency is more important than you think. In fact, it is second only to the quality of your content.
  3. Determine when you will write. Everyone’s schedule is different. 
  4. You might be in a season of life when you can only commit to an hour a week. 
  5. Perhaps you can commit to more. But, if possible, schedule your writing time just like any other appointment. 
  6. Keep your posts short and to the point. 
  7. Blogs are not a long-form medium. Brevity is a virtue.
  8.  I shoot for 400–500 words. I often go over this, but I am working to whittle my posts down.
  9.  I can tell you from experience that readers will bail out or scan if your posts get too long.
  10. Make it easy to get through your posts. Lists—both bulleted and enumerated—are magic. 
  11. Why? Because reading is hard work.
  12.  Lists, subheads, and even quotes make your content more accessible and help people get through it. 
  13. It creates a sense of forward progress.
  14. Invite reader engagement. Make it easy for them to comment. This is why I do not require people to register to comment or fill-in some silly  to prove they are human.
  15.  All of this just adds friction and discourages people from commenting.
  16.  Yet, I rarely have a problem with spam or inappropriate comments.
In summary, focus on creating content before you get too concerned about driving traffic.
 If you don’t post good content with enough frequency, none of the other items matter.



If you would like to enrol for mosaic and painting classes in Rotorua, New Zealand  please email me at jkeen@clear.net.nz 

If you would never in a million years enrol in one of my  classes please write and tell me why. 

Creative quote of the day  

1 comment:

MargieAnne said...

I've been reading your posts for a while. Love your creative nature. My original interest as through mosaics. I would love to meet you next time we are in Rotorua to visit our son.

Blessings