Monday, August 13, 2012

Poetry Recital Competition St Mary's Catholic School Rotorua.



It was fun, fast and fantastic.

Rapid judging, I hoped I  added up the figures correctly. 
 I'd need to take a calculator next time I think. 
I was looking for pupils who had memorised their poems, which is a really hard thing to do. 
I was looking for poems that appealed to children because I like poetry that deals with issues kids can relate to like hating homework and squirming at the thought of eating earthworm sandwiches.

I was looking at their gestures, expressions,  the clarity and audibility of their voices and  I was looking for the audience response to each poem.


This years (as in others years ) poetry contestants were of a  high standard.
 It was so uniform it was difficult to pick a winner so we gave out more prizes than in former years.
 I am amazed  those pupils were able to recite their poetry off by heart and I know for a fact  I couldn't do it, unless it was a three lined haiku
The St Mary's teachers are coaching their pupils very well, you could really tell that the pupils loved poetry.

In my books every child who enters is a winner...
 



People who won were really happy.
 The audience of devoted parents and enthusiastic teachers enjoyed the experience and the child audiences were really well behaved.
I believe most children really relate to poetry, they have been bought up with it in nursary rhymes and children's picture books.



I like judging poetry contests  because I really enjoy  poetry, especially if it's sincere and not trite or overblown.
If  it has great word pictures, shows not tells and presents some novel idea  in a quirky way it gets a tick in the box and if it makes me laugh, it's a huge bonus.

One of my favourite children's book authors is Roald Dahl.
 That man is so funny, bordering on manic and  subversive and quite politically incorrect which makes it so much fun.
 Try reading Matilda,  it will have you laughing so much to the point you are almost crying.
I've read it about 10 times and I'm still not sick of it.
Matilda is my hero, I wish they would make a film out of this book.
Humour is a great teacher, black humour is pretty clever too.


Art is the best way to communicate faith according   to FR Marko Rothnik,(  Italian mosaic Designer)
I love the murals, artwork, mosaics and statues around St Mary's Catholic  School.
This statue of  Our Lady (Mary)  is in a type of dome with a blue background.
 It reminds me of the one that we had at a Catholic Primary School I attended called St Peters in Cambridge.

I  enjoyed going to church in the middle of the day when I was at school because I liked looking at the beautiful artwork  in the stations of the cross and the Priests robes which were dazzling and rich looking.
I was fascinated with the different colours they wore and the intricate embroidery that lit up their garments.
I couldn't understand why all men weren't dressed in such beautiful uplifting colours.
Catholic churches are full of wondrous art which always helps  transport me to a celebratory and  peaceful place.

                                                  This is just a segment of one of  St Mary's painted murals.


   This is one of the many mosaic murals that I have helped to make with  St Mary's pupils


Angels are in the centre with animals and flowers which represents peace, growth  and good will to every living and heavenly creature.




I really like making crosses, they are a sacred shape and contain a power all of their own.
I made the top one and the following year pupils helped make the second one and the sign. .

Creative Quote of the day 
“People are often unreasonable and self-centered. Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives. Be kind anyway.
If you are honest, people may cheat you. Be honest anyway.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough. Give your best anyway.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and God. It was never between you and them anyway.”
Mother Teresa

1 comment:

Mosaics said...

I do believe you are correct. I need to go back to school and get my MFA. Love your pastels by the way :)