Thursday, May 30, 2013

Artist date according to Julia Cameron's book the Artists Way

It is important as an artist to get out of your  studio  to explore your surroundings.
This helps your painting feel fresh and exciting, the ideas and views you pick up will feed into your work. 
 Thursdays are my  days off. 
I sometimes  go for a walk, go see a foreign movie at the Basement Theatre in Himemoa Street, go out for breakfast or lunch and go shopping.
Or I  go for a trip out of town.  I focus on having fun and it's the only day of the week I don't do any teaching. 

  This Thursday I went to Cafe De Paris in Hinemoa Street, Rotorua for breakfast at 10 am.



 I had gluten free and organic mushroom crepes with a cuppucino, which was lovely.


 Cafe De Paris has free Wi-Fi which is perfect for me to write this post for my blog.

 Top tasting coffee.
 It was a very sunny but frosty morning so having something  warm like this was very welcoming and the cafe itself was well heated, the acoustics good and everyone else dining looked relaxed and happy.


Valerie, the  owner  is doing my beginners mosaic course, in which you make a fish, a mirror and a pot for the first three sessions and grout,  plus paint the back of them in Resene testpot colours. 



All for  only $250 including materials,  running Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings from 9.30am to 11.30am.

 The cafe has happy French music in the background and lovely French posters and art on the wall.
  Valerie  is very friendly and welcoming and obviously has a lot of regular customers. Many of my clients go there from time to time.
You could almost be in France and I think going to a genuine and themed cafe like this is a way of travelling out of your country but without the jet lag.

Of course I still want to travel to France, I am hoping we will be doing this next year.
 I just need to keep affirming that I will make enough money through my art teaching and writing plus photography business to pay for it.

If local or international visitors  want a cozy slice of Kiwi culture and food with a French twist you should give Cafe de Paris a go, the menu is quite extensive and the prices are very reasonable.
Creative Quote of the Day
 “He showed the words “chocolate cake” to a group of Americans and recorded their word associations. “Guilt” was the top response. If that strikes you as unexceptional, consider the response of French eaters to the same prompt: “celebration.”
Michael Pollan, In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto


No comments: