Wednesday, January 26, 2022

After school art classes, Rotorua enrolling now Thursdays 3.30pm to 4.30pm and 4.30pm to 5.30pm.

Why do you think I am so Happy ?
It's because I have been having such a fun time with my students, helping them to create art. Teaching my students is my favourite thing to do.
As well as making my own art
and spoiling my cat Jasper by teaching him stuffed mouse catching tricks on his scratching post, (that we bought him for Christmas from Animates for $299.00). We call it his throne as his nickname is King Farouk.
If you're feeling a bit despondent over all this covid news, making art with happy kids is a real antidote. It's the best job I have ever had. Running my own business for the past twenty years has been rewarding because of great relationships I have formed with the children and their parents and grandparents. I have been so lucky not to have to put up with anyone, (other than my cat, telling me what to do. It's amazing, none of the children are worried. They are so resilient amid the pandemic daily news deluge. They are brilliant people to be around, they make me less anxious. They are having mindful and peaceful times being creative and so am I. I am also encouraging them to create paintings that they really like and to learn some technical skills along the way. To have some masterpiece to hang on their walls that says "I did that". " I'm a real artist" is great for feelings of accomplishment.
Sometimes students have been coming to my lessons for a lots of years and have a house full of art and a lot of experience under their belt. Sometimes they want to make experimental or process art, unlike anyone elses with wax, paint and other recycled materials. I am into that as well. I don't just promote one style. To me variety is the spice of life. Why bore yourself by churning out the same thing day after day when there are so many exciting styles to master?
How many of you love cats? My cat Jasper is the studio mascot. He often comes around purring when the students are there, asking for strokes. Sometimes he tries to take over their seats. He loves children and they all say, "Oh he's a nice cat". Of course my favourite subject is cats so I am always around to encourage students to have a go at illustrating them with paint. Did you know there is over 36 species of wild cat in the world ?
Most animals are my friends apart from hyenas and snakes,(but if students like doing them, I let them). Art is in the eye of the beholder after all. As a teacher I am flexible and non-perfectionist. You won't find me hounding a child to make their work so perfect, it's overdone. It's really important to know when to stop.
I am selling these Thursday After School art Classes right away, so first in, first served. I am no longer working Mondays because there are too many public holidays. For the first time in 20 years I'm opening up the studio to Rotorua young people on Thursdays. Times 3.30pm to 4.30pm and 4.30pm to 5.30pm. Numbers restricted to 9 people per class. Mixed ages, they are all doing their own projects and encouraged to focus and work peacefully and quietly. Many of my students are quiet introverts so we don't want to add to anyone's stress by wasting time being rowdy. It's not an after school budget, crowded baby sitting service, it's a dedicated space of productivity, but we still mange to have fun. If this sounds like something your child is craving, ie creativity in a respectful, non-bullying environment, with top quality materials producing masterpieces they can hang on walls or give away as presents please contact me now. Phone 027 3513887 Or email janet@jkeen.net 374 Clayton Road, Rotorua

No comments: