Saturday, November 17, 2012

Gardening in Rotorua. This is supposed to represent a post every day on this blog in support of national Novel writing Month.



 My garden could be described as a rustic bird haven or sanctuary. 

 It's not perfect, there are weeds in the lawns. 
 There are gaps where there shouldn't be. 
 I don't plant in drifts of one type.
  have things poking in and out all over the show. 
If something pops up and it's not colour co-ordinated I don't worry too much. 
I honour its decision to be there.  

Every election I always ring up the Green Party and ask them to put a poster on the front of my fence. 
 I love their posters and I have voted green for the past nine years. 

To a perfectionist OCD (obsessive compulsive) person my garden is probably close to one of their worst nightmares. 

It's  verging on being out of control and a bit chaotic. 
And I love it that way. 


I have a live and let live approach to life.
Spiders and earwigs are welcome.  
Even aphids have their place because they provide food for ladybirds and praying mantises. 
 I love both of these insects. 

 
I found an enormous snail the other day on a hydranger and instead of squashing it, I let it live.
I have a lot of thrush and black bird visitors to my garden and they like to eat these.
 I know because I often hear them dropping the snail shells on top of my roof  in order to try to smash them


  
  I even feed the sparrows who come into the garden with bread.
 I buy native birdseed for the waxeyes, chaffinches, miners and starlings. 
I buy fat for the waxeyes and I hang it in onion bags for them to get to easily. 
I have lots of fantails around and there are plenty of bugs for them to feed off. 

Two fat wood pigeons always come to visit around this time to eat shoots from the willow treees that border the steam that runs at the edge of the property from the natural spring next door. 

  Tui and bellbirds  are always singing away.
They like hanging out in the sequoia that is at the bottom of my garden.

 Every year the Shiney Cuckoo's comes around to lay their  eggs in the Grey Warblers' nests. 
The Gery Warblers always arrive first. 
 They migrate away to other countries and always return to the same place at the same time each year. 
 It's a symbioic relationship. 

I hear the Kokarko call of the cock quail.
 There is a family of them that live nearby.
I saw one on top of my willow tree last year.  
It is my dream to have a family nest in the secret, sunken native garden. 

Ducks come down to the stream to nest with their quacking  and there are around five roosters nearby. The roosters are over the top but I'm not all that willing to ring the council over them and have them beheaded because I don't want any bird deaths on my conscience.
They can't help it that they have loud cock-a-doodle-doos that wake me up at 6 oclock in the morning.

Moreporks fly over from the native bush reserve across the road and land on top of the Sequoia and they sound like they are inside the house some nights.  I have dreams of taming one of these but I don't really think this is going to happen so I have to satisfyl myself with drawing pictures of this happening.
 

The whole place teams with the calls of birdsong. 
 At times it seems a bit deafening so I meditate  every morning and night so that I can remain calm and focused. 
 
 The only two birds who are not welcome are Kingfishers because they try to catch my goldfish.
 Herons are not welcome either because they have been known to clean out entire fishponds in one fowl scoop.  

Luckily my cat is on patrol.
 He doesn't catch native birds. His speciality is rats and that's another story that I won't go into here. 


Creative Quotes of the day

I hope you love birds too. It is economical. It saves going to heaven. 

Emily Dickinson
  God loved the birds and invented trees. Man loved the birds and invented cages.
Jacques Deval,



 




No comments: